Goodbody & Kennedy, Solicitors

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Goodbody & Kennedy, Solicitors

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1947-1989

History

Kenneth A. Kennedy joined the firm of A. & L. Goodbody after the death of Alfred Goodbody in 1924 and was probably a partner in the Tullamore office by 1930. Kennedy was called to the bar in 1917 and qualified as a solicitor in 1924. In 1930 Kenneth Kennedy, Lewis Goodbody and George Acheson Overend acquired the fee simple as joint tenants of the office premises at High Street, Tullamore held on lease since 1913. Lewis Goodbody died in 1933 and the ownership of the firm (at least as far as Tullamore was concerned) was shared between G. O. Overend and Kenneth Arthur Kennedy, but not necessarily in equal shares. In 1947 a new partnership arrangement was entered into between Overend and Kennedy and the following year Kenneth Arthur Kennedy acquired the entire interest in the building at High Street for £800.13. The A. & L. Goodbody partnership in the Tullamore office appears at this time to have comprised of G. A. Overend, Kenneth A. Kennedy and G. G. Overend. The Tullamore building was to serve the Tullamore firm, known since the late 1940s as Goodbody & Kennedy, until 1989 when the business was sold to Dermot Scanlon by Kenneth C. P. Kennedy. Kenneth A. Kennedy had remained a partner in A & L Goodbody, Dublin until his death in December 1974 at the age of 80 but the Dublin office had no involvement in the Tullamore firm probably from the late 1940s.

Kenneth C. P. Kennedy (M 1949) was welcomed to the district court as a new solicitor in March 1950. Kenneth Kennedy practised with his father, K. A. Kennedy in the firm of Goodbody & Kennedy until the latter’s death and continued on his own account up to his retirement from full time practice in 1989. At that point the firm was incorporated into the firm of J D Scanlon, Tullamore where Mr Kennedy carried on as a consultant for several years.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Solicitors

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Kennedy, Kenneth A. (1894-1974)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Kennedy, Kenneth A. is the owner of Goodbody & Kennedy, Solicitors

Dates of the relationship

1947-1989

Description of relationship

Related entity

A. & L. Goodbody, Solicitors (1902-1947 (Tullamore))

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Type of relationship

A. & L. Goodbody, Solicitors is the predecessor of Goodbody & Kennedy, Solicitors

Dates of the relationship

1901-1947

Description of relationship

A & L Goodbody's Tullamore branch was known as Goodbody & Kennedy from 1947 under a new partnership agreement between G. A. Overend, Kenneth A. Kennedy and G. G. Overend.

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR (CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, 2nd Edition (2011)

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

February 2016

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Byrne, M., Legal Offaly: the county courthouse at Tullamore and the legal profession in County Offaly from the 1820s to the present day, Esker Press, 2008

Maintenance notes

Created by Lisa Shortall