Tullamore GAA Club

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Tullamore GAA Club

Parallel form(s) of name

  • CLG An Tulach Mhór

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1888-present

History

Tullamore GAA Club was founded on 26 May 1888 and won its first title in 1890 when it defeated Banagher in the final of the Offaly Championships (football). Its club colours were initially red and green, but inspired by the 1916 Rising, the club changed its colours to green, white and gold in 1917. In the early 1920s, Tullamore gave the county team the right to wear the tricolour as the county colours and adopted the blue and white colours which are still used today.

Having played in rented fields at Church Road, and then Tinnycross, the club acquired land at Ballyduff Park in the 1910s. In 1932, it developed a site on the Arden Road and in 1934, O'Connor Park was opened. Following the decision in 2001 to let Offaly County Board lease O'Connor Park, O'Brien Park was developed for use by Tullamore GAA Club.

Places

O'Brien Park, Arden Road, Tullamore
O'Connor Park, Arden Road, Tullamore

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR (CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, 2nd edition (2011)

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Paul Rouse, The Blues: A 125 Year Photographic History of Tullamore GAA Club 1888-2013. Offaly: Brosna Press (2013)
Tullamore GAA Club website http://www.tullamore.gaa.ie/Pages/ClubHistory.aspx

Maintenance notes